Freebie

Thursday, October 12, 2006

My new phone adapter

I've been using Skype for about two and half years now and I love it. I use it to call friends and family for free and I also use SkypeOut to call my friends who haven't installed Skype yet or to reach my wife on her cell phone.

The biggest problem I had with Skype was that I had to be connected to my PC with my headset in order to use it. Last month, I was in CompUSA looking for Skype gadgets and unfortunately, the salesperson barely new what I was talking about when I asked about VoIP or Skype products. Anyway, I walked around the store and next to the cordless telephones I found a cool device from D-Link called the DPH-50U Skype USB phone adapter. It connects to my PC through the USB port. I connected my Motorola cordless phone base station to it and I also connected the DPH-50U to the phone line.

When I got home, I installed the adapter by running a setup utility from the CD-ROM that came in the box. Even though, I got a Windows unsigned driver warning message, the setup was pretty simply. At the end of the installation, Skype asked me if it was OK for the D-Link Agent to use Skype. I answered yes and that's all there was to it. I took a picture of my setup. You can see it below.



Now, when I receive a Skype call, my cordless phones ring. I can see the Skype username on the phone's caller ID display and answer the call as if it were a normal phone call. This is slick! When I want to make a Skype call, I pick up the phone, press ## and dial the SkypeOut number and press the * key. I am now using Skype around the house. The best part is that my phone still acts as it normally does for making and receiving regular phone calls.

One of the coolest features is that while I am on a regular call, I can still make and receive Skype calls. When I receive a Skype call, I hear a call waiting tone in the phone and can switch between my regular call and the Skype call I can even connect the two together into a conference call.

The user's manual talks about being to use my mobile phone with my Skype account but I haven't played around with it yet. So far, I love the DPH-50U.

4 Comments:

  • On Amazon, the DPH-50U has gotten a lot of terrible reviews. It appears the driver and software may be crappy and unreliable. I guess if you buy it in a local store though, you can easily return it within 14 days or whatever.

    By Blogger Doug, at 11:16 AM  

  • I checked out CompUSA's web site (www.compusa.com) before I bought it and saw good reviews. I am quite happy with it so far.

    By Blogger dana9689, at 12:43 PM  

  • Freebie:
    Do you still have to keep your PC running?

    Or, the Skype softphone is actually embedded in the D-Link adapter?

    Thanks.

    By Blogger GlobalOfficePhone, at 5:28 PM  

  • Skype is running on PC.

    I hope soon there will be adaptors with Skype inside.

    By Blogger Mr. Cheap, at 5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home